WASHINGTON, D.C. – Monumental Sports & Entertainment (MSE) has announced a sponsorship with Deloitte to promote STEM education for youth of all ages in Ward 8, home of the Entertainment and Sports Arena in Congress Heights, St. Elizabeths.
As part of this transformative approach, MSE and Deloitte will present “Demystifying STEM” at the Washington Mystics home game against the Minnesota Lynx on Aug. 11. By showcasing the science, technology, engineering and math principles that power the game of basketball, the Mystics and Deloitte will inspire kids to explore the world around them, experience STEM in a whole new light, and see themselves in rewarding careers while building the solutions of tomorrow.
Activations at the “Demystifying STEM” game will include:
- Deloitte will transform the Mystics concourse area into a space for interactive games for youth showcasing robotics, drones, coding, and more.
- Concourse demonstrations will include Coder Mindz stations (http://www.codermindz.com/), and an Alexa demonstration highlighting how integrating different sets of artificial intelligence technology can be used to help solve common issues facing large companies today. There will also be mini drone demonstrations.
- A fun and educational STEM workbook giveaway designed exclusively for the Mystics and Deloitte. This fold-out workbook will reinforce some of the STEM principles at play during a Mystics basketball game.
- Video board features throughout the game highlighting STEM principles with engaging factoids, trivia and explanatory responses.
- STEM-related halftime entertainment
As part of this partnership, Deloitte will also have branding assets including pole pads and LED signage at the Entertainment and Sports Arena, the home court for both the Mystics and the Capital City Go-Go of the NBA G League.
“We are thrilled to collaborate with an innovative organization like Deloitte which is dedicated to STEM education and college readiness. This is part of a strategic effort to increase our long-term impact in Ward 8 and the communities surrounding the Entertainment and Sports Arena at St. Elizabeths,” Jim Van Stone, President of Business Operations and Chief Commercial Officer at Monumental Sports & Entertainment, said. “This sponsorship transcends sports and we couldn’t be more excited to work alongside Deloitte to cultivate a passion for careers in STEM.”
“It’s critical that the children of Ward 8 have the support they need to prepare for the future of work,” said Tamika Tremaglio, Deloitte’s managing principal for Greater Washington. “Every day we see companies transforming around such technologies as automation and Internet of Things, which is putting a premium on STEM-based learning. I am delighted that Deloitte is teaming up with a community-oriented firm like Monumental Sports & Entertainment to address this need in St. Elizabeths.”
Opened in the fall of 2018, the Entertainment and Sports Arena is a 118,000-square foot, 4,200-seat facility that is a year-round destination for residents and visitors alike. For more information on the arena, please click here.
Single game tickets for Washington Mystics games start at $12 and are currently on sale. Fans can purchase tickets by calling 1-877-324-6671, by visiting www.WashingtonMystics.com and at all local Ticketmaster outlets.