WASHINGTON MYSTICS (3-3) VS. NEW YORK LIBERTY (1-5)
MYSTICS 66 – LIBERTY 74
|TEAM||HIGH PTS||HIGH REB||HIGH AST|
|MYSTICS||Powers (20)||Hines-Allen (8)||Mitchell (5)|
|LIBERTY||Nurse (17)||Zahui B (14)||Clarendon (6)|
SAY HER NAME
On July 10, Sandra Bland, a 28-year-old African-American woman, was arrested following a confrontation with state trooper Brian Encinia after being pulled over for failing to signal when changing lanes in Waller County, TX. The confrontation ensued when Bland refused to put out her cigarette and leave her vehicle. In cellphone footage shot by Bland, Encinia can be seen leaning into the car and taking out his taser. Three days later, Bland was found dead in her jail cell with the cause of death being ruled died by suicide. We will continue to #Sayhername.
The WNBA has dedicated the 2020 season to social justice and to remembering victims of police brutality and racial violence. This season, players will wear Breonna Taylor’s name on the back of their jersey as a way to bring awareness and seek justice.
MSE x WHEN WE ALL VOTE
Monumental Sports & Entertainment (MSE) announced plans to help increase the enfranchisement and participation of eligible voters in elections. As part of this work, MSE has formed a partnership with When We All Vote, a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization on a mission to increase participation in every election. Register to vote today: whenweallvote.org/mystics/
- Aerial Powers totaled nine free-throw attempts, a Mystics individual season high. It also marked the most free-throws for Powers since 7/30/17.
- Powers recorded her third 20+ point game of the season (8/1 at CHI, 7/28 at CON). Powers joins Bonner (CON) as the only Eastern Conference players to total three or more 20+ point games.
- Emma Meesseman recorded consecutive 15-plus point games (8/5 vs. LAV – 24 pts), marking the fifth game this season she has reached double-figures.
- Washington attempted 20 free-throws, the fourth time this season the Mystics have attempted 20+ free-throws.
- Washington went 16-20 (.800) from the charity stripe, marking the sixth game this season the team has shot .800 or better from the line.
- The Mystics forced the Liberty into 18 turnovers, marking the fifth time this season Washington has forced their opponent into 15 or more turnovers.