WASHINGTON MYSTICS (2-0) vs. CONNECTICUT SUN (0-2)
MYSTICS 94 – SUN 89
|TEAM||HIGH PTS||HIGH REB||HIGH AST|
|MYSTICS||Powers (27)||Hines-Allen (8)||Meesseman (8)|
|SUN||Bonner (25)||Thomas (11)||Bonner (5)|
SAY HER NAME
On March 13, Breonna Taylor, a 26 year old African-African EMT, was killed by the Louisville police department when the police entered her apartment shortly after midnight and fired numerous shots. It has been 137 days since her death and the police officers involved have not been arrested. We will continue to #Sayhername.
MSE x WHEN WE ALL VOTE
Monumental Sports & Entertainment (MSE) announced plans to help increase the enfranchisement and participation of eligible voters in elections. As part of this work, MSE has formed a partnership with When We All Vote, a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization on a mission to increase participation in every election.
QUOTE OF THE GAME
Aerial Powers on the decision to leave the court before the national anthem:
“With everything going on in the world, we feel like there is still social injustice going on. Breonna Taylor’s killers have not been arrested. So, we decided as a team, and as a unit, that is what we are going to do. We are going to stand up for what is right. We wear these shirts for her [Black Lives Matter t-shirts]. So, that’s why we walked off, and we’ll continue to do that until things have changed.”
- The Mystics start the season 2-0 after defeating Indiana and Connecticut. This marks the third time in the past five seasons that Washington has started the season with consecutive wins (2018, 2015).
- Washington scored 48 first-half points, marking the second consecutive game the team has totaled at least 45+ points in the first half. Last season, the Mystics totaled 45+ points in the first half 21 times, going 18-3 in those games.
- Aerial Powers scored 13 first-half points and 14 second-half points, marking the second consecutive game she has scored 10+ points in the first half. Last season, Powers scored 10 or more points in half 12 times (second-half: 8, first-half 4).
- Powers joins Monique Billings (ATL) as the only player this season to score at least 25+ points on .700 percent shooting (Powers: 27 points .714 percent/Billings: 30 points .714 percent).
- Powers scored a career-high 27 points, marking her seventh career 20+ point game. Powers totaled three 20-plus games last season (prior career-high: 24 points).
- Myisha Hines-Allen totaled 16 points and eight rebounds, marking the second consecutive game she has posted at least 15 points and five rebounds (third career 15/5 game).
- Emma Meesseman tied a career-high eight assists (last: vs. Minnesota, Aug. 16, 2019).
- The Mystics attempted 21 free-throws, marking consecutive games the team has attempted 20-plus free-throws. Washington attempted 20+ free-throws in 11 games last season (8-3 record).
- Washington grabbed 35 rebounds against the Sun, marking back-to-back games the team has totaled 35+ rebounds. Last season, when the Mystics totaled 35+ rebounds the team posted a 14-1 record.
- Washington scored 20+ points off Connecticut turnovers. Last season Washington totaled 13 games of 20+ points off opponent turnovers.
- Three Mystics players scored 15+ points (Hines-Allen, Powers, Atkins). Last season, three or more Washington players scored 15-plus points on six occasions.
- Washington totaled 10 steals with four players (Atkins, Hines-Allen, Meesseman, Powers) all recording two or more steals. Last season, the Mystics totaled 10+ steals 12 times.